Staff papers and presentations relating to pandora
This is just a sample of the papers that can be found on the Staff Papers page of the National Library of Australia web site.
- The online campaign : Building the 2013 Australian Federal Election. A presentation by Russell Latham at the Biennial ALIA National Conference September 16, 2014 held in Melbourne.
- PANDORA - past, present and future. National web archiving in Australia. A presentation by Paul Koerbin at the National Conference on eResources in Malaysia (Seminar Kebangsaan Sumber Elektronik Di Malaysia) 2012 held at the Bayview Beach Resort, Penang, 5-7 December 2012. The transcript of the talk is also available.
- Archiving the music web. A presentation by Paul Koerbin for the Music Council of Australia's Annual Assembly in Melbourne on 28 Septebmer 2009. The presenation includes '10 tips' web creators can follow to assist with the long term preservation of their website.
- Hit save before dot-com becomes dot gone. An Opinion and Analysis piece by Paul Koerbin commissioned by ABC News and posted on 7 May 2009
- Web Archiving in a Web 2.0 World Paper by Edgar Crook presented at the ALIA Biennial Conference, Alice Springs, on 2 September 2008
- Paul Koerbin gave a presentation on web archiving and copyright issues at the WIPO International Workshop on Digital Preservation and Copyright at the World Intellectual Property Organization in Geneva on 15 July 2008
- The Australian web domain harvests: a preliminary quantitative analysis of the archive data. A report by Paul Koerbin on the size and nature of the content of the 2005, 2006 and 2007 Australian web domain harvests.
- The 2007 Australian Federal Election on the Internet. A paper by Edgar Crook that discusses the archiving issues and use of the Internet during the 2007 Australian Federal Election campaign.
- PANDORA : Collecting in a Digital World - Where is the Artefact?. A paper by Paul Koerbin presented at the ALIA Symposium The Acquisition of Cultural Artefacts, University of South Australia, October 2007.
- A New Version of the PANDORA Digital Archiving System. A brief notice published in Gateways about the release of version 3 of the PANDAS web archiving management software.
- AONS - An obsolescence detection and notification service for Web archives and digital respositories. A joint article by J. Curtis and P. Koerbin of the National Library, P. Raftos and D. Berriman of the ANU, and J. Hunter of the University of Queensland. Published in a special web archiving issue (vol. 13, issue 1, January 2007, pages 39-53) of New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia.
- Web Archiving at the National Library of Australia. PANDORA: Australia's Web Archive. A short article by Paul Koerbin providing an update on web archiving activity at the National Library published in the March 2007 (no. 58) issue of the CDNLAO Newsletter.
- PANDORA, Australia's Web Archive: how much metadata is enough? An article by Margaret Phillips and Paul Koerbin published in the Journal of Internet Cataloging, vol. 7, issue 2 (cover date 2004, published 2007).
- For the Record: Assessing the Impact of Archiving on the Archived. A paper by Edgar Crook, Digital Archiving Branch, National Library of Australia, published in RLG DigiNews August 15 2006.
- The work of PANDORA. A short history of PANDORA by Edgar Crook, Digital Archiving Branch, National Library of Australia, published in Gateways, August 2006.
- Report on the crawl and harvest of the whole Australian web domain undertaken during June and July 2005. This is an internal report from October 2005 by Paul Koerbin on the first large scale harvest of the Australian domain. Because of the significance of this domain crawl the report has been made available to the public with only minor deletions.
- Current issues in web archiving in Australia. A paper by Paul Koerbin, Digital Archiving Branch, National Library of Australia, at the 2005 Open Publish Conference.
- Selective Archiving of Web Resources: A Study of Acquisition Costs at the National Library of Australia. A paper by Margaret Phillips, Director, Digital Archiving, National Library of Australia, published in RLG DigiNews June 15 2005
- The PANDORA Digital Archiving System (PANDAS) : managing web archiving in Australia. A refereed paper by Paul Koerbin, Supervisor, Digital Archiving Section, presented at the International Web Archiving Workshop, 16 September 2004, Bath, UK
- "... and then there's the rest of the stuff ..." : The role of the PANDORA Archive. Presentation by Paul Koerbin, Supervisor, Digital Archiving Section, to the Australasian Sound Recording Association 2004 Conference "Sounding Out a Cultural Heritage", Session title "Delivering the Digits", 13 May 2004
- Keeping Online Information Accessible for E-governance and E-democracy. A paper by Margaret E Phillips, Director Digital Archiving, National Library of Australia, and Adrian Cunningham, Director Recordkeeping Standards and Policy, National Archives of Australia, prepared for the Australian Electronic Governance Conference. Centre for Public Policy, University of Melbourne, Melbourne Victoria, 2004.
- PANDORA, Australia's Web Archive, and the Digital Archiving System that Supports It. A paper written by Margaret Phillips, Director, Digital Archiving, National Library of Australia, published in DigiCULT.info, Issue 6, December 2003, p. 24.
- UNESCO campaign to preserve the 'digital heritage' - and consultations in Asia and the Pacific. A paper by Colin Webb, Director, Preservation Services, National Library of Australia published in International Preservation News (IPN) - a newsletter of the IFLA Core Activity on Preservation and Conservation, Number 30, September 2003
- Barriers or Stepping Stones? Impediments to Digital Archiving and Preservation Programs. A paper by Colin Webb, Director, Preservation Services, National Library of Australia, published in CLIR Issues, Number 34, July/August 2003, published by the Council on Library and Information Resources (USA).
- Web site archiving - an approach to recording every materially different response produced by a website . A paper presented by Kent Fitch, Applications Branch, IT, at the AusWeb 2003 conference, Sanctuary Cove, 7 July 2003
- Development of a Digital Services Architecture at the National Library of Australia. A paper by Dr Warwick Cathro, Assistant Director-General Information Technology, and Mr Tony Boston, Director Digital Services, National Library of Australia, at EduCause in Australasia 2003
- Providing Bibliographic Access to Archived Online Resources: the National Library of Australia's Approach. A paper presented by Pam Gatenby, Assistant Director-General, Collections Management Division, National Library of Australia, at the Bibliography and National Libraries Workshop Bibliographic control or chaos, at the 68th IFLA General Conference and Council, Glasgow August 2002.
- Legal Deposit, Electronic Publications and Digital Archiving The National Library of Australia's Experience. A paper presented by Pam Gatenby, Assistant Director-General, Collections Management Division, National Library of Australia, at the National Libraries Section session on Legal Deposit and Copyright laws, at the 68th IFLA General Conference and Council, Glasgow August 2002.
- Digital Preservation: a Many Layered Thing A paper presented by Colin Webb to the DAI institute The State of Digital Preservation: An International Perspective convened by the Council on Library and Information Resources, Washington, DC, 24-25 April 2002
- Archiving the Web: the National Collection of Australian Online Publications A paper presented by Margaret Phillips, Manager, Digital Archiving, National Library of Australia at the International Symposium on Web Archiving, National Diet Library, Tokyo, Japan, 30 January 2002
- Archiving the Web: The PANDORA Archive at the National Library of Australia. A paper by Warwick Cathro, Colin Webb and Julie Whiting. Presented by Warwick Cathro, Assistant Director-General, Information Technology, National Library of Australia at the Preserving the Present for the Future Web Archiving Conference, Copenhagen, 18-19 June 2001
- The National Library of Australia's Digital Preservation Agenda An interview with Colin Webb, from RLG DigiNews, February 2001
- Persistence is a Virtue A paper presented by Diana Dack, at the Information Online 2001 Conference held in Sydney, Australia, 16-18 January 2001
For staff papers written in earlier years go to the National Library's Staff Papers page